Study Abroad Orientation was 5 hours long...it was long.

I'd heard much of what they had said before, when I had gone to Japan with the Wings of Rotary group back in 2008. Things like packing light, reverse culture shock, Skype, etc. The things of interest to me were about scholarships, financial aid, application paper deadlines, and how to get the most out of your study abroad.

Lunch was my favorite, though. We got to eat first(!) out of everyone, and we sat out on the porch with Naho, Keiko, and Wooka. Naho and Keiko are exchange students from Kansai Gaidai, and they were friendly. The easiest Japanese people to talk to are young Japanese girls - they're the most excited and animated out of anyone. And very easygoing! I was speaking Japanese with them the whole time, and it was quite fun. We talked about Kansai Gaidai a lot, as well as their own adjustment in coming to OSU. Tyler Weirick was also there and we talked a little about Shinshu, too.

I'm more excited for my travel, and I feel a little better prepared for it. Unfortunately, they didn't tell us Kansai Gaidai goers about how meal plan will work, or list the actual host university application deadline in our papers...so now we have to figure out what to do and when. Oh well - they're working pretty hard as it is, and I told them in the meeting that I expect accurate information regarding housing, expenses, and meal plans.


Tyler

Comments (1)

On September 1, 2009 at 4:47 PM , Samuel said...

The paperwork process is long and tiring, but you guys will be able to handle everything. Jesse and I have had to make most of the contact with Shinshu and we have come out just fine. I hope it was fun. Oh yeah, Naho is our counterpart from Shinshu.