I went in for the course equivalency part of my study abroad adventure today. I got a lot more than expected...and a little less too.

I took the half-hour before my meeting to determine my classes and print out their course descriptions. I should be taking some fun and easy classes next semester - things like "The Visual Anthropology of Japan," "Religion in Japan," and "Sexuality in Japan," and also my language classes. I'm excited for them.

I got into what appears to be a 10-minute argument with Kat, the coordinator for reciprocal exchange, in the office today. I came in and asked about my expense estimate, and she got upset very quickly. I'll try to lay it out as objectively as possible.

August 31st: I email Anne asking for an expense estimate to help fill out my Bridging and Gilman scholarship forms. She forwards the message to Linda Millis and Kat to "get the process started."

September 22nd: A follow-up email to Kat reveals that she did not start the estimate as asked. She did not think it necessary as the numbers would be more accurate as we came upon the study abroad date. She wanted me to have talked to Linda Millis first.

Later that day: Message from Kat: "This is the first time I hear that you need the expense estimate. You are now on my list, it will be done by the end of the next week."

Fast forward to today, September 30th: She doesn't have the expense estimate because she assumed it was for federal financial aid. She assumed wrong.

She got very terse, very exasperated, and quite upset about the whole thing. She raised her voice at me, too, while I kept my calm. It wasn't fun in the slightest. After that, she produced my course equivalence sheet for me. We ended the meeting on friendly (enough) terms.

From now on, I told her, I will give her every deadline and tell her exactly what to do when, and give no wiggle room or doubt in her mind as to my intentions. That's apparently the only way to get things done.

My next step is to get signatures from my advisors confirming my courses will count for me.


Tyler

Comments (1)

On October 1, 2009 at 1:24 AM , Samuel said...

Sounds like you have your hands full. I hope that the last minute expense estimates didn't affect your chances at scholarships.